If you’ve driven through Downtown recently, you may have noticed some new murals being worked on! The new murals, presented by The Helis Foundation, will be unveiled this Saturday, June 1 from 6pm-9pm. The celebratory block party at 400 Julia Street will have music, food, drinks, and more.
Unframed, the exhibit’s title, is the FIRST multi-mural exhibit in Downtown New Orleans. Something that’s awesome to note about Unframed is the origin. The Arts Council of New Orleans announced the project and their goals, along with an open call for artists to show them what they got. In return, they received hundreds of admissions from artists across the city.
The creative artists and locations are as follows:
- Etam Cru (Poland): 600 O’Keefe St.
- Team A/C (New Orleans): 333 Julia St.
- MOMO (New Orleans): Ogden Museum of Southern Art, 925 Camp St.
- Brandan “B-Mike” Odums in partnership with Young Artist Movement (New Orleans): 636 Baronne St.
- Carl Joe Williams (New Orleans): 827 Tchoupitoulas St.
“Vibrant and engaging murals have the power to transform communities. They transform bland facades into contemporary works that enhance our shared urban environment, reflect community character, seed civic dialog, and help strengthen an area’s sense of place. […]”
– Arts Council New Orleans Executive Director Heidi Schmalbach
The event on Saturday is open to the public! Stop by after your visit to New Orleans Oyster Festival.
Featured image via Doug MacCash, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.
Pingback: Mural Popularity in the City Skyrockets as Permit Fees Decrease
Pingback: Call To Artists: Large-Scale Mural Project to Add THREE Additional Murals in Downtown NOLA